Weekday Sketchers at St. Barts and Central Synagogue
|St. Bart's Exterior|
Join us this week as we visit two iconic houses of worship in Mid Manhattan.
|Central Synagogue Exterior|
We will start our journey at St. Bartholomew's Church on Park Avenue, designed by Stanford White in the Romanesque Style, this is one of the most beautiful houses of worship in New York City. Beautiful mosaics designed by Hildreth Meiere , a soaring dome, the triple marble porch and heavily painted interior make this church an architectural treasure. For more information about the architecture, click here: https://stbarts.org/connect/history-and-architecture/
|St. Bart's Interior|
Then we will walk to the Central Synagogue on Lexington Avenue which was built in the Moorish Style and completely restored after a devastating fire, it is a tribute to this unique style of architecture from the onion domes and stained glass to the elaborately embellished interior covered in scroll work, lattice and patterns painted in 69 different colors. For information about the architecture click here: https://www.centralsynagogue.org/about-us/our-history/our-sanctuary
|Central Synagogue Interior|
DATE: WEDNESDAY JANUARY 18, 2023
STARTING TIME: 10:00 AM
LOCATION: Park Ave and 51st Street
TRANSPORTATION: 6 Train to 51St St Station. E, M Trains to 53rd/Lexington Ave
- Please RSVP directly to Raylie Dunkel at Rayliedunkel1@gmail.com
- Looking for us? Call or text Raylie at 201-273-0445
- Note the earlier starting time at 10:00
- St. Bart's is open from 9:00 AM Feel free to come before the starting time to do your drawing
- Central Synagogue is open from 12:30 to 2:00. We will leave St. Bart's in time for the 12:30 opening
- Both buildings are functioning houses of worship, please use decorum while drawing
- Be prepared to use dry materials
- Bathrooms and water are available at both sites
- No need for stools as there are plenty of seats available.
- In order to accommodate the time schedule for both buildings we will not have a lunch break. Feel free to take one on your own.
- We will have a Show and Tell following the visit to Central Synagogue