Tuesday, November 29, 2022
SATURDAY: Sketch at the Draw-a-Thon
Sunday, November 27, 2022
Weekday and Westchester Sketchers at Cast Hall
Join us as we return to one of our favorite indoor sketching venues: Cast Hall
- RSVP directly to Raylie Dunkel at email@example.com
- Westchester group RSVP to Cathy Gutterman at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Looking for us? Call or text Raylie at 201-273-0445 or Cathy at 914-625-0766
- No need to bring a stool, chairs and tables are available
- Bring lunch or purchase it along the way. We can eat and drink in the room
- Wet materials are allowed
Monday, November 21, 2022
Weekday and New Jersey
Schedule for December and January
Looking forward to seining you here, there and elsewhere!
Week of December 26th No meeting
|Met Musem Chroma|
New Jersey Group
|Museum of Early Trades and Crafts|
Wednesday, November 16, 2022
SATURDAY: Sketch the Met
86th St. - 4, 5 or 6 train
86th St. - B, C train
Take the cross town bus - a free transfer to the east side of Central Park
Friday, November 11, 2022
SATURDAY: Sketch the Plaza
My favorite forecast said that "Saturday morning might be soggy". But that leaves us with what might be the very last day we can sketch outdoors this season.
There is a beautiful area of Manhattan, the southeast corner of Central Park. The area hasn't got a name, but feels like it should. The Plaza Hotel is there and two small mini parks; one has the Pulitzer Fountain opposite the hotel and the other has a civil war statue of General Sherman. The entrance to the park is across the street and leads directly to the zoo. It's another wonderfully sketchable location for us.
We are having a shortened sketch - so read the details below:
What: We will be sketching the area by the Plaza Hotel and the southeast entrance to Central Park.
Where: We’re meeting at the Pulitzer Fountain, across the street from the Plaza Hotel. (see map)
When: Meet at 12 PM - NOON. November 12, 2022
How:- By Subway: 5th Avenue / 59th St - N, R or W train
See map below.
Lunch: We're not taking a lunch break, since we're starting at noon. Feel free to bring food or rely on the many vendors in the area.
Show and Tell: 3:00 PM - We'll find a spot in Central Park to share our sketches from the day, and talk about the things artists talk about.
- Bring a stool, it gives you more options. There are some benches in the park but having your portable stool means you can sketch exactly where you like.
Can't find us?
Call or Text Mark - 973-809-9128
There are no fees or attendance taken.
All drawing skill levels are welcome
Weekday and NJ Sketchers at Hoboken Terminal
Join. us this week for a join meeting between two NYC Urban Sketchers Groups
|Hoboken Terminal Entrance|
|Pier A Park|
- Please RSVP directly to Raylie Dunkel at email@example.com
- Looking for us? Call or text Raylie at 201-273-0445
- There is seating in the terminal and the adjoining park but bringing a stool gives you more options.
- Water, bathrooms and food are available in the terminal and surrounding area.
Wednesday, November 9, 2022
SATURDAY: Sketch Plans Undecided
Saturday looks like another mild pre-winter day. The only problem is that the remnants of Tropical Storm Nicole is going to bring heavy rain At this point, that weather is expected to hit us Friday night extending into Saturday morning, but that could change. The tricky thing is figuring out if the storm is going to come early, on time or late. It will certainly do one of those things.
Rather than give up on what could be a great day of sketching, let's hold on until Friday. I'll contact everyone in the afternoon or early evening. Sorry - wish we had a crystal ball.
About the photo - it probably won't rain that much, ... but - poor guy!
Sunday, November 6, 2022
Workshop - Good News - Better News!
See The Lines - Alán Ramiro Manning
Alán's morning workshop sold out very quickly. He has agreed to run an afternoon session and we just made this available.
So why should you consider taking this workshop?
- Alán Ramiro Manning is extremely well known and admired with 50,000 Instagram followers.
- He works in the Urban Sketching style.
- He has taught this workshop all over the worldHe is in NYC for a limited amount of time.
For more details and to register for the afternoon session on November 19th - click this link:
THURSDAY: Westchester Sketchers at John Jay Homestead in Katonah, NY
- The Carriage Barn - Education & Visitor's Center
- The Farm Lane - the only original entrance to the historic farm once owned by John Jay
- The Formal Gardens - located through the white gate, a fountain and sundial form the centers, beautifully maintained by the Bedford Garden Club and Friends of John Jay Homestead
- The "Ha-has" - a unique landscape feature consisting of rock walls built to keep grazing livestock from getting near the house, but remain invisible when looking down the lawn
- The Herb Garden - created in 1991 on the site of a historic cutting garden and greenhouse.
- The Ice Pond - created for producing ice in the winter to use year-round, now a picturesque spot.
DATE: THURSDAY, November 10, 2022
- The grounds are open from sunrise to sunset.
- Restrooms are available.
- Parking is free.
- There are many picnic tables, but a stool will offer you more options.
Please RSVP to Cathy (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Looking for us?
Call/text: Cathy at (914) 625-0766 or Marianne at (914) 355-6507.
Friday, November 4, 2022
Weekday Sketchers at Canstruction Exhibit
Every year Brookfield Place runs a competition for the best sculpture constructed out of cans of food...and it is called...CANstruction!
- Please RSVP directly to Raylie Dunkel at Rayliedunkel1@gmail.com
- Looking for us? Call or text Raylie at 201-273-0445
- Plenty of chairs in the area but a bringing a stool always gives you options
- Food, water and bathrooms available throughout the facility
Thursday, November 3, 2022
Workshop: See The Lines - Shape and Sharpen the World Around You
Wednesday, November 2, 2022
SATURDAY: Sketch the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens
This SATURDAY, November 5, 2022
we are going to be exploring Autumn in Brooklyn’s Botanic Gardens.
The Japanese Hill-and-Pond Garden in Autumn is really something to see. Spring’s cherry blossoms can’t compare to the stunning display of color. Let’s check it out. Any sketching trip to the gardens is a treat.
The Japanese Hill-and-Pond Garden is one of the oldest and most visited Japanese-inspired gardens outside Japan. It is a blend of the ancient hill-and-pond style and the more recent stroll-garden style, in which various landscape features are gradually revealed along winding paths.
The garden features artificial hills contoured around a pond, a waterfall, and an island, along with carefully placed rocks. Architectural elements include wooden bridges, stone lanterns, a viewing pavilion, a Shinto shrine, and a dramatic vermilion-colored wooden torii.
What: We will be sketching in Brooklyn Botanic Gardens for the day.
Where: We will meet at the entrance at 150 Eastern Parkway and then walk to the Japanese Gardens for the first part of the day. We'll be sketching in other areas later.
(Note: If you use the Gardens parking lot you'll be entering from a different entrance.)
- 455 Flatbush Avenue
- 990 Washington Avenue
When: Meet at 10 AM. Sleeping late? Come anyway - we’ll be there.
- By Subway:
- 2/3 train to Eastern Parkway—Brooklyn Museum for 150 Eastern Parkway and 990 Washington Avenue entrances or
- B/Q/S trains Prospect Park for 455 Flatbush Avenue entrance (no B train on weekends)
- 4/5 trains to Franklin Avenue (no elevator) for 990 Washington Avenue and 150 Eastern Parkway entrance
- By Car:
- Attended parking is available at 900 Washington Avenue - Maximum to closing = $20
- Members - Free
- Adults - $18
- Seniors (65+) - $12
- Students 12+ with ID - $12
Lunch: 12:30 Bring your own. The only open place in the Garden is the Coffee Bar. There are stores and other options outside but it requires a bit of a walk.
Afternoon: 1:30 PM Back to the sketching
Show and Tell: 3:00 PM - We’ll find a likely spot (probably where we had lunch) to share our work, tell stories and talk about what artists talk about.
- Bring a hat and be prepared for sunshine
- Bring a stool, it gives you more options.
(The garden is sometimes fussy about where you can use a stool. They are protective of the lawn. Be friendly and agreeable if asked to move.)
(click to enlarge)
If you can’t find us
call or text Mark at 973-809-9128
There are no fees. All drawing skill levels are welcome.