Thursday,, June 29, 2017
Gantry Plaza State Park is a riverside oasis along the East River near Long Island City, Queens. The entire length of the twelve acre park has spectacular, unobstructed views of the Manhattan skyline, including the United Nations and the Empire State Building.
The southern part of the Park showcases the name-sake of the site, four restored gantries originally built in 1925 and used to load and unload river freight onto Long Island RR cars for transport inland.
The northern section of the Park was the site of a Pepsi-Cola bottling plant, and the iconic cursive, red neon on metal Pepsi-Cola sign remains today, having been designated a NYC landmark in 2016.
With the skyline as a backdrop, and the gantries, the sign, and the beautifully manicured park grounds as a set, this is a stage any artist will enjoy sketching. In the morning we will sketch in the southern part of the Park, two sets of gantries and the skyline of Manhattan. We will eat lunch in a grove of trees with plenty of shade near the southern-most pair of gantries. In the afternoon we will head north to the Pepsi-Cola sign, construction barges on the river and views of the Ed Koch Queensborough Bridge.
DATE: Thursday,, June 29, 2017
LOCATION: Gantry Plaza State Park, 4-09 47th Road, Long Island City, NY 11101
From Grand Central Terminal, take the 7 Train and get off at Vernon Boulevard - Jackson Avenue, the first stop in Queens. Exit the station at the back of the train, emerging at 50th Avenue and Vernon Blvd.
Walk 3 blocks north on Vernon Blvd to 47th Road, turn left and walk 2 blocks west toward the East River. The Park entrance is straight ahead, although partially blocked by construction. Just walk on the sidewalk on the right side of the street, past the Dead End sign, and you will enter the Park.
- The walk from the 7 train is 10 minutes. As you enter the Park, restrooms are on the left. We will meet at a yellow picnic table on the right, shortly past the playground.
- Bring a hat, sunblock and lunch, as there aren't many food vendors around the Park.
- You could pick up a sandwich or salad at the Food Cellar Market on 47th Road, a block from the Park entrance.
- Also bring a bottle of water. The water fountains in the southern part of the Park are disconnected, although there are several working fountains in the northern section.
- You may bring a stool if you wish, but there are lots of benches throughout the Park.
Please RSVP to Alan Wernicke at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are coming late
or you cannot find us,
call or text Alan at 917-685-5748
There are no fees. All drawing skill levels are welcome.
Post a Comment