Saturday July 6th
Hosted by Danna Feintuch and Alan Wernicke
Join us for a day of sketching the spectacular, unobstructed views of Manhattan at Gantry Plaza State Park on Saturday, July 6th. The restored gantries that are a legacy of Queens industrial past, and there are other sketchable highlights like the landmarked Pepsi-Cola sign, construction barges on the East River and the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge.
The gantries were built in 1925 and are actually huge cranes that picked up boxcars from barges on the East River and transferred them onto train tracks that once ran up to the edge of the water. Those tracks could either go on further points on Long Island, or upstate and on to New England. They could transfer 100 ton cars, and were amazingly fast and efficient.
WHERE: Meet at the entrance to the Park near 49th Avenue at 10am. We will sketch the gantries and views in the southern end of the park in the morning
WHEN: Meet at 10 AM. Sleeping late? Come anyway - we'll be there.
- Coming from Manhattan, take 7 train to the first stop in Queens - Vernon Blvd and Jackson Avenue. Exit from the back of the train, walk 3 blocks west on 50th Avenue to the Park, and then turn north and walk one block to 49th Avenue.
- Coming by sea: Gantry Plaza State Park is also accessible from Manhattan via the NYC Ferry Service.
LUNCH: 12:30 PM - We'll have lunch at in the grove of trees near the gantries.
AFTERNOON: 1:30 PM In the afternoon we will head north to sketch the Pepsi Cola sign, the barges, views of Manhattan and the Ed Koch Bridge.
SHOW and TELL: 3:00 PM we will meet back at the grove of trees where we have lunch to show our sketches and talk about the usual - art materials and techniques, etc.
- Bring your own art supplies, a hat, sun block, and a bottle of water.
- Bring your own lunch or purchase from venders on side streets leading to the Park.
- Bring a stool if you own one. It give you more options.
- to Alan Wernicke at firstname.lastname@example.org (917-685-5748)
- or Danna Feintuch at email@example.com.
If you can’t find us
call or text Alan at (917-685-5748)
There are no fees. All drawing skill levels are welcome.