As artists we often approach museums like children opening up presents. We're so excited to see the contents. But the truth is museum buildings themselves are often art objects worth of study and sketching. Fortunately in NYC we have a Mile of Museums which we'll be visiting this Saturday.
|Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum|
Our first stop will be the Guggenheim Museum. To sketch this unique structure you need to be across the street to take in the full view. Our sketch possibilities for the day include:
|Graffiti Hall of Fame|
- Neue Galerie - Fifth Avenue and 86th St.
- The Guggenheim Museum - Fifth Ave and E88th St.
- Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum - Fifth Avenue and E91st St
- The Jewish Museum - Fifth Avenue and 92nd St.
- Museum of the City of New York - Fifth Ave and E104th St.
- El Museo del Barrio - Fifth Avenue and E105th St.
- Graffiti Hall of Fame (outdoor display at E106 and Park Ave)
Where: Meet at the place where we have the best view of the Guggenheim - Fifth Avenue between E87-88th on the Park side of the street.
When: This Saturday June 22nd. We'll start at 10 AM. Sleeping late? Come anyway, we'll be there.
Lunch: 12 - Noon. Bring your own, or purchase from vendors. We'll meet at the entrance to Central Park at Fifth Ave. and 90th Street. (Known as the Engineer's Gate). We'll walk in and find a place to eat together.
Afternoon: 1 PM. Back to sketching those wonderful buildings.
Show and Tell: 3 PM Back to the lunch spot to share drawings and tell stories. This is the social part of our day and not to be missed.
- Bring a stool if you have one. It gives you more options.
- Dress for sunshine. Sketching can easily turn into a day of unexpected sunbathing.
If you can’t find us
call or text Mark at (973) 809-9128
There are no fees. All drawing skill levels are welcome.