It’s a Block Party
hosted by the Rubin Museum
The Event is free and includes admission to the Rubin, whose current show is The World is Sound. Because there is a wonderful indoor option this is a rain or shine event
There will be lots to sketch:
- Hands-on activities and participatory events for children and adults
- Meditation spaces
- Silent disco
- New York Suwa Taiko Association
- The Blue Angels Drumline
- Poets John Giorno and Tenzin Dickie
- Kirtan concert with the Bhakti Center
- Dana Flynn of Laughing Lotus Yoga
- Drawing Sound, a live painting and sound collaboration curated and MCed by Rhiannon Catalyst
- Himalayan snacks for purchase from Café Serai and food trucks
- Van Leeuwen Artisan ice cream
- Korilla Korean Tacos
- And loads of food stores and sandwich shops in the area
What: The Rubin Block Party
Where: 150 West 17th Street Between 6th and 7th Avenues.
Meet at 6th Avenue, which will be less crowded. Most of the action takes place at the 7th Avenue end of West 17th Street.
When: From 11 AM - to 3:30 PM
- A, C, E to 14th Street (at 8th Avenue)
- 1 to 18th Street (at 7th Avenue)
- 2, 3 to 14th Street (at 7th Avenue)
- F, L, M to 14th Street (at 6th Avenue)
- N, Q, R, 4, 5, 6 to 14th Street-Union Square
Parking is wide open on Sundays, the easiest day of the week to find a spot. There is a 24-hour parking lot on the corner of 17th Street and 6th Avenue. There are also a number of parking garages and lots on 17th Street between Union Square and 7th Avenue.
Lunch: 12:30. Meet in front of the Museum entrance. Bring your own, or purchase from Vendors and stores. There is also Café Serai in the museum - the perfect place to enjoy the aromas and flavors of the Himalayas.
Afternoon: 1:30 Back to sketching the Street Fair and the Museum.
Show and Tell: 3:30 Meet at the entrance to the museum and we’re off to Cooper’s Craft & Kitchen, 169 8th Ave, b/t 18th St & 19th St, ( Phone number (646) 661-7711) to share drawings, good stories and a beer or wine if you're so inclined.
If you can’t find us
call or text Mark at 973-809-9128
There are no fees. All drawing skill levels are welcome.